We always have time for everything important!
There always has been and for the foreseeable future will always be 24 hrs in a day…nothing I could do will have ever changed that! It was having that fundamental reality refreshed and accepted that lead me to interrogate the following question:
“How can some people be super effective and turn an hour into millions and some people don’t even manage to engage a single cell?”
I began to think about the major time allowances I gave every day, and came up with the following 3 basic categories:
• The Time I give my responsibilities (work, family, medical, hygiene…)
• The Time I give to my leisure activities (entertainment, family time, holiday..), and
• The Time I invest in my growth (personal, financial, intellectual, mental…)
Each of the 3 basic categories is as essential as the other! When combined, a balance needs to be created that is essential to a progressive harmony and inner balance between each. This harmony and inner balance will determine HOW I will progress and grow as well as HOW MUCH I will progress and grow.
Determining my required harmony and balance is not an easy skill, however like all skills it can be developed with application. To start my process I had to ask some important questions and get very serious with myself when answering them. Questions such as:
• What priority am I apportioning to each basic time category? I at times felt the need to give the extra effort on unimportant tasks, task that would in fact detract me from where I wanted to ultimately end up. Focus on financial rewards and not the priceless rewards life gives to us such as family, mental and emotional peace attained when I switched myself off from work. At the end of every day I had to understand the value of everything I immersed myself in that day and was the sacrifices made worth it.
• What balance am I giving to each time category? It was very apparent that there was not balance and like an unbalanced wheel it’s only a matter of time before the instability throws everything out of whack. This started to happen when the results I was experiencing did not match my efforts and background…something had to give and it did!
• What are my goals that are driving my time commitments and time allocations? My first response to this was do I have goals and how Do I want to progress and grow beyond the manner of life I am living now? I decided that I Do I want more out of life and that I want to model myself around the super effective people that are living life on their terms…not someone else’s!
There are times when, we ask ourselves the right questions, our perspective begins to change dramatically!
Following a stern examination of my time application I started to put the results and findings to an effective use. I had to make sure that my time allocations moving forward were optimised to ensure that I get maximum benefit out of each and every day. Although not easy at first, with concentration and mental commitment, I managed to put a more structured and focused time management approach to how I want to live life and what I want to extract out of every second!
"Work as though you would live forever, and live as though you would die today. Go another mile!" - Og Mandino
“Lack of direction, not lack of time, is the problem. We all have twenty-four hour days." - Zig Ziglar
Hi my name is Allan Smith, founder and leader of Infinity Success. I have a passion for helping others progress and develop their unlimited potential and help them turn their dreams into goals and goals into reality!